Saturday, January 11, 2014

Glitches

I just sent out manuscripts to a publisher, right? I was bored yesterday so began a re-read of the longest one. I discovered typos that had been corrected more than once. Argh! Shot in the foot?

I hate imperfections, especially in something so important. What's going on? I can't trust an editted document to remain editted? I decided to check my computer to see if there was anything I could do to reduce the chances of this problem's recurrence. Why do my longer documents get scrambled with older versions whenever the packets reassemble? There must be a solution somewhere. First, I checked the most obvious cause. Ah, I have my PC set for weekly defragmentization, every Thursday at 3:00pm, but the last one done was May 9th! Eight months ago?! I set a defrag into motion. It took quite awhile. I hope this reduces the problems in the future. Now, I hope it is permanently fixed. I cringe at the thought of the reaction to the flaws by this publisher. I'm cleaning the document up, again.

January 23, 2014: Resubmitted Mysterious Castle, finally. I found that my documents formatting was changed when emailed. Thank goodness I sent it to myself first to test it. So I had to find out a solution to that problem and fix the entire document, then retest it. Now I'll need to do the same with the other novels before I can resubmit them.

January 27, 2014: Resubmitted Fair Play.

February 1, 2014: Half through with Magnetic Attraction. Needing  a break. I've decided to read for awhile, estimating 2-3 day break.

February 7, 2014: Resubmitted Magnetic Attraction.

March 2, 2014: Received a contract to publish Magnetic Attraction. Must decline. I turns out it's a vanity press that also wants royalties paid to them for seven-plus years. Sure, they'll distribute the books. . .solely at my expense. Thanks, but no way. That cinches it. I'll epub.

April 20, 2014: Working on the cover art and epub requirements, for all my completed books. I'd rather be writing.

September 16-17, 2014: Placed my first three novels onto Amazon.com as ebooks. I had 3 sales within a few hours, but not one of each (2 Dreams & Secrets, 1 Turnabout in Fair Play).

October 1, 2014: Placed Mysterious Castle onto Amazon.com as ebook.

November 1, 2014:  Only one more sale in October, Turnabout in Fair Play. Reduced price of Magnetic Attraction to 99 cents. Changed Mysterious Castle to Kindle Select which offers it free to Kindle Unlimited members. Scheduled a promo for Mysterious Castle for first week of December, available to anyone on Amazon for 99 cents.